The Social Science Summer Research Program at Carthage was created to provide social science students with the opportunity to be active participants in an independent research project under the guidance of a faculty mentor.
Departments and Programs
The following departments and programs participate in the Social Science SURE Program:
- Criminal Justice
- International Political Economy
- Political Science
- Psychological Science
Students in the program receive a stipend of approximately $2,750, on-campus housing, and a 100-meal ticket (no substitutions) for eight weeks of full-time research (40 hours per week) to be completed between June 5 and Aug. 11, 2017.
All participating students and faculty meet weekly for lunch and presentations of research progress. Students will present their SURE project at the Celebration of Scholars in April 2018. Each student participant will also be expected to write a project report at the end of the program.
The selection process for this program is competitive. Each student must identify a research mentor prior to the submissions of his or her application. The selection committee will consider only complete applications. In addition to the application, a recommendation is required from a faculty member other than the proposed research mentor.
The complete application is due by noon on Monday, April 3, 2017, and consists of the following elements:
- Application cover sheet to be completed by the program applicant
- Research abstract to be completed by research mentor or the applicant
- Research essay to be completed by the program applicant
- Budget statement to be completed by the applicant, approved by research mentor
- Recommendation from a faculty member familiar with applicant’s work
Additional details for these requirements are available on the application form.