Skip to main content

Office of the Registrar

Transfer Credits

Prospective Transfer Students


Four Steps to Transfer Admission:

1. Apply to Carthage

Prospective students may apply by submitting a completed standard application, or apply online. Along with the application, the prospective student must provide official transcripts from each college/university attended and a non-refundable application fee of $35. If the prospective student has fewer than 12 transferable college credit hours, official high school transcripts must also be submitted. International students must provide a TOEFL score and a transcript evaluation from an agency such as World Education Services or Educational Credential Evaluators, as well as a non-refundable application fee of $40.

2. Receive Credit Evaluation

Once the College admits a student, the Registrar’s Office will complete a credit evaluation of general education requirements and major requirements. This will be an official report of those credits accepted by the College, and an outline of credits necessary to complete the student’s chosen course of study.

3. Confer with a Transfer Coordinator

A transfer coordinator will provide the student with individual admissions counseling, set up on-campus visits and initial academic advising appointments, and act as the financial aid liaison.

4. Apply for Scholarships and Financial Assistance

To obtain financial aid, the student will need to complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FASFA) and include the Carthage institutional code: 003839. In addition, the student must send a financial aid transcript from each school attended to the Carthage Office of Student Financial Planning.

If enrolling as a full-time student, it may be possible to qualify for several merit- and talent-based scholarships ranging from $4,000 to $9,000 per year. Many of these no-need Carthage scholarships are awarded immediately upon admission to the College. The Spring Scholarship and Fall Transfer Scholarship Competitions award scholarships on a competitive basis. For more information on competition deadlines, contact the student’s transfer coordinator.


Current Carthage Students


Transfer Courses

A student enrolled at Carthage who wishes to apply transfer or correspondence courses taken elsewhere to Carthage must secure advance approval from the involved department chairperson and the Registrar by the end of term prior to enrollment in the course. Students must fill out a Transfer Approval Form (download the form), also available in the Registrar’s Office, Lentz Hall 431.

On the my.carthage portal, current students can view a list of courses that have been previously approved to transfer back to Carthage College. After logging into the my.carthage portal, the transfer guide can be accessed on the advising and registration tab. The student will need to select the appropriate state and school from the drop-down options in order to view previously approved courses from a given institution. If an institution or course is not listed in the transfer guide, it does not necessarily mean that the course will not transfer. It may simply mean that the course has not yet been evaluated and would need departmental approval in order to be eligible for transfer.  Please note that courses marked as “INVALID” on the transfer guide are no longer eligible for transfer.

The student will need special approval from the Subcommittee for Academic Review and Recommendation to transfer courses from a two-year college if junior standing has been reached. The student will also need special permission from the committee to complete courses off campus that are within the last 32 credits needed to graduate (fill out the petition).

Upon receipt of an official transcript from institutions accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools and similar regional associations, appropriate value will be given for comparable courses or areas taught at Carthage.

Please note that transferable courses will not carry over grade point averages into Carthage GPA calculations. The associated credits will be added to the student’s Carthage transcript but outside grade points will not.

Courses at other institutions are counted as part of a student’s term load.

Credit will only be transferred for courses in which a grade of “C-” or better is earned.

College-level courses taken in high school are credited on the same basis as other transfer credits, provided that the courses have not been counted for entrance requirements. These courses must appear on a college transcript.

The maximum total credits allowed for specialized testing (CLEP/AP/IB) and correspondence courses is 32.

Students must complete a minimum of 12 credits of resident work at Carthage in all majors and minors attempted. A student must have at least 32 resident credits over all to meet transfer graduation requirements.

Transcripts from institutions outside of the United States must be evaluated by Educational Credential Evaluators Inc. (ECE).


Katherine Young
Assistant Registrar

  • Quick Facts