CARTHAGE COLLEGE FACULTY MEETING MINUTES
April 10, 2008
Dean Piepenburg called the meeting to order at 11:50 a.m.
Harvard Stephens delivered the invocation.
Minutes of the March 6, 2008 meeting were approved as posted.
CONVERSATION WITH THE PRESIDENT - President Campbell
(August, December, February, May)
REPORTS OF COMMITTEES
Executive Committee - Christine Rener
- Conversation with the administration email discussed
- Outside consultants for review of core
- Udry: Who will decide who the outside reviewers will be? Is there an agreement to abide by the reviewers comments?
- Rener: Not yet
- Magurshak: Are we thinking bygones with what happened last year?
- Committee Elections
- Personnel & Tenure: Ripley, Ward, and Lyng
- Quality of Life: Easley and Ness
- Reps to the Board: Radwanski, Arion, Udry, Schulz
SARR - Mark Mahoney
- Motion put forward to allow a student to withdraw from a course up until one week past the midterm date without the need to petition. A “W” would appear on the student’s transcript.
- Discussion ensued.
- Motion carried.
Curriculum Planning Committee - Richard Sperber
- Information Systems - motion passed.
- Music changes - motion passed.
Dean Piepenburg informed the faculty that GIFW 271 “Beauty and the Sacred” was removed from the Topics Courses for Info Only.
· Simpson: Islam in America conference next week
· Bass announced upcoming conference in August.
· Schaumberg: DPI Site Visit April 28-29, May 1.
· Udry: Discussed Fulbright applications and encouraged faculty to talk with students who might be appropriate for the program.
· Kulke: Demonstrated that he has a “handicap.” All Carthage Golf Outing coming up (May 17, 2008).
· Hodges: 2008-2009 Chamber Music Series - October 1, November 7, and April 19.
· Ulrich: College Leadership Awards - please vote. Honors Convocation coming up.
· Kruger: Come see the play ‘”Independence.”
· Levesque: First annual student art exhibition.
· Cyganiak and Rivero-Vila: The UN has declared this the International Year of Language.
The meeting adjourned at 1:00 p.m.