Applications are no longer being accepted for this position. For current opportunities, please visit www.carthage.edu/careers
* * *
Carthage College seeks a Payroll Manager. Reporting to the Controller, the Payroll Manager manages and coordinates activities of workers engaged in recording hours of work, processing time records, compiling payroll statistics, maintaining payroll control records, and calculating payrolls. The Payroll Manager administers all facets of payroll management, including the development and implementation of overall systems and programs, and the coordination of all staff involved in related activities. Personal contacts are primarily with department heads and managers, but also with employees, to communicate program information and offer technical assistance in answering questions and explaining procedures. The work may include the use of manuals, guidelines or other established procedures containing or relating to legal, financial or other similarly complex matters that can be understood or interpreted only by those with advanced or specialized knowledge or skills. This position may also refer to and apply applicable federal, state and local codes and regulations.
Carthage College is guided by the values of inclusivity, diversity, and community which are integral to our mission of seeking truth, building strength, and inspiring service, together. Applicants must have a passion to work together with diverse faculty, staff, and students with respect to socio-economic status, culture, academic interests, and career paths.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages and participates in payroll preparation, including supervising the coordination of activities with the payroll system
- Plans, organizes and assigns work. Supervises and participates in the activities of the payroll function
- Administers all components of the payroll system
- Reviews the work progress and accuracy of payroll employees
- Oversees the complete and accurate recording of all employee time records by conducting spot-checks, appropriate training and an ongoing review of subordinates’ work
- Interprets company policies and government regulations affecting payroll procedures. Also uses the college’s policies and procedures in establishing and monitoring payroll policies. Interprets and applies guidelines to ensure compliance and equitable application.
- Supervises the administration of tax liability and requirements
- Acts as the contact person for any internal or external audit of payroll records, systems and procedures
- Prepares standard and ad hoc reports
- Makes recommendations, as necessary, for changes in policies and procedures
- Oversees the confidential management and maintenance of employee payroll records
- Attends meetings and participates in special projects, on special committees and on teams related to payroll issues as assigned
- Studies and standardizes procedures to improve the efficiency of subordinates
- Supervises one employee and carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the college’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems
- Completes other duties as assigned
Required Education, Experience, and Licensure
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration or accounting
- Five years of experience managing the payroll function
- Supervisory experience preferred
- Experience in the implementation and maintenance of an automated payroll system
- Experience working within ADP’s Workforce Now
- Experience working in higher education is preferred
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP)
- Thorough knowledge of federal, state and local legislation related to payroll systems
- Working knowledge of relevant generally accepted accounting principles and practices
- Ability to synthesize complex or diverse information
- Strong problem-solving skills to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules and procedure manuals
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to speak effectively before groups of employees
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide into all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs
- Knowledge of database software; Human Resource systems; Spreadsheet software and Word Processing software
How to Apply
The position will remain open until it is filled. All applicants must submit a cover letter, resume and a list of three references including contact information. Please submit all materials through the “Resume Upload” section.
Founded in 1847, Carthage College combines an environment of reflection and self-discovery with a culture of high expectation, so that our students uncover and ignite their true potential. As a four-year private liberal arts college with roots in the Lutheran tradition, we place a strong emphasis on both moral and intellectual values. Our prime location in Kenosha, Wisconsin, midway between Chicago and Milwaukee, allows students the opportunity to learn in a professional context. Our beautiful campus, an 80-acre arboretum on the shore of Lake Michigan is home to 150 scholars, 2,600 full-time students, and 400 part-time students. Our rich academic experience equips students with foundational knowledge and skills, preparing graduates to be lifelong learners and to lead meaningful, productive lives.
Carthage College is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse community. We welcome applications from a broad spectrum of people, including members of ethnic minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.