The original library on campus was called Ruthrauff Library and was located where the Clausen Center is now.
The current Hedberg Library building was dedicated in 2002. It was built by MSR Design architectural firm and named after Donald D. Hedberg ’50.
Donald D. Hedberg ’50, a chemist, inventor and successful entrepreneur, challenged Carthage to create a program that would show budding entrepreneurs with science backgrounds how to succeed in business. He backed that challenge with a $1 million gift to endow a professorship for the program. That challenge led to the creation of theScienceWorks program in 1994.
Mr. Hedberg spent 10 years as an instructor at the University of Illinois-Chicago, and was president of Science Related Materials in Janesville, Wis. In 1977, he joined his wife, Geraldine, in launching Lab Safety Supply Inc., a Janesville direct marketer of safety products. Over the years, along with handling administrative responsibilities, Mr. Hedberg invented and designed numerous safety and environmental products. In a 14-year period, the business grew to sales of more $117 million by 1991. In 1992, the Hedbergs sold the company to W.W. Grainger Inc.
Currently, Mr. Hedberg i s the Director of the Hedberg Foundation in Janesville, Wisconsin. He founded the Health and Emotion Research Institute at the University of Wisconsin and is chairman of its advisory board. He is a Carthage Trustee, founding chairman of the College’s Natural Sciences Advisory Committee, and serves on the Advisory Board of ScienceWorks. In 2000, he donated 7 million dollars to fund the new Hedberg Library at Carthage College.
Hedberg remains active in small business, advising entrepreneurs and emerging companies on strategies for growth. The painting at the left hangs just inside the south entrance to Hedberg Library on the Carthage College campus.
Hedberg Library Building and Celebrations
- From the Racine Journal Times, January 19, 2002: “New Library is Carthage College’s New Heart”
- American Library Association’s Library of the Year, 2004
- From the American Library Association’s Association of College & Research Libraries (ACRL) National Conference Publication, April 2005, “Supporting Library, Computing, and AV From a Single Desk”
- Wisconsin Library Association, Upstart Award for Family Fun Night, 2007
- Hedberg Library 10th Anniversary Celebration, 2012
- “Lost in the Stacks” 2012
- Greg Berg Morning Show Celebration, 2016