The Carthage Honors Program is an intellectual community of highly motivated students. The program seeks to enhance the Carthage experience through a wide variety of academic, cultural, and social opportunities.
Research and Experiences
- Outings to museums, galleries, and musical/theatrical events — Honors students visit museums and attend musical and dramatic performances in Chicago and Milwaukee, as well as in Kenosha and Racine, Wis.
- Honors Council — Honors students are encouraged to join the Honors Council, a student organization that works to plan extracurricular activities throughout the year. Through the Honors Council, students can participate in service projects, social activities, special programming, and student-faculty gatherings.
- Student Learning Communities — Honors students with exemplary initiative and curiosity are encouraged to form or join Student Learning Communities, in which they work with other students who expand on material they begin to study with a professor. The Honors Program provides funds to support Student Learning Communities.
- Regional and National Conferences — Many Honors students in every discipline engage in undergraduate research and present their findings at regional and national conferences.
- Fellowships — Students who strive to win a major fellowship, such as a Fulbright or Truman, receive guidance from the Director of Student Fellowships, who is affiliated with the Honors Program.
- Alpha Chi — Alpha Chi is a national college honor scholarship society whose purpose is to promote academic excellence and exemplary character among college students and to honor those who achieve such distinction. No more than the top 10 percent of the senior class may be inducted.
- Alpha Lambda Delta — This national honorary society recognizes outstanding academic achievement for first-year students.
- Sigma Xi — Sigma Xi is an international research society whose programs and activities promote the health of the scientific enterprise and honor scientific achievement. Students who show outstanding potential as researchers may be named as associate members.
- Omicron Delta Kappa — ODK is a national honorary society recognizing juniors and seniors for excelling in academic work and service to the community.
Departmental Honoraries — Students may be invited to join discipline-specific national organizations that acknowledge excellent work.
See a full list of honorary clubs at Carthage
Scholarships and Academic Planning
The Honors Program director, the director of student fellowships, and faculty advisors are available to assist qualified students in applying to graduate programs and for national and international fellowships such as the Rhodes, Marshall, Truman, Fulbright, and Mellon. Learn more about these scholarships at the links below: