The Arts and Creativity Festival 2017
“Here I Stand” Creativity Competition and Exhibition
March 3- 8, 2017
A. F. Siebert Chapel Narthex
The Carthage College Arts and Creativity Festival joins forces with the Luther 500: Here I Stand celebration for a creativity competition. The “Here I Stand” competition and exhibition will take place March 3-8, with an awards presentation during the Arts and Creativity Festival on March 8 in the A. F. Siebert Chapel at 7:30 p.m.
Call for Creative Works
Martin Luther took a stand and would not back down from his theological works, even though it put his life in danger. What are you so passionate about that you are willing to take a strong stand and not back down? The Creativity Competition invites participants to explore these ideas in abstract, figurative, and performative ways to reflect personal notions of “Here I Stand.”
Accepting works in the following categories:
- Visual art (studio art, graphic design, photography, film)
- Performing arts (music, theatre, dance)
- Written word (essay, poem, new play, lesson plan)
- Multi-art and interdisciplinary projects
Students, faculty, and staff are invited to submit works for consideration. Students will be eligible for the grand prize of $500 for Best Work, as well as monetary prizes in each of the categories above. In addition to the student awards, there will be two awards for submissions by faculty/staff.
For additional information about the Creativity Competition, contact Corinne Ness, Dean of the Arts and Humanities, at email@example.com.
Submitted works should be delivered to Heidi Baehr, administrative assistant, Johnson Arts Center 211. Works will be accepted on Feb. 27 and Feb. 28, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. daily. Late submissions will not be accepted.
- Visual Arts: Works must be no bigger than 30 inches in any direction. All works must be structurally sound; ready-to-hang works are preferred; other works will be accepted if they can be hung with clips and are no larger than 3 pounds. Larger pieces or installation works need to be approved by the Creativity Competition in advance.
- Performing Arts: Video submissions of film, music performance, theatre performance, dance performance, or other type of performance, should be submitted via a Vimeo link. Please submit a link with password to firstname.lastname@example.org. Music composition scores must include a copy of the full score, preferably printed using Finale notation software.
- Written Word: Entries may include essays, fiction, one-act plays, and poetry. Applications should submit written work as a PDF to email@example.com. Interdisciplinary and multi-arts works are encouraged. All submissions must include the participant’s name, phone number, email, the title of the work, and medium. All entries must also include a brief (250 words or less) description explaining how the submitted work addresses the theme of Here I Stand.
Judging and Exhibition
Works will be juried and exhibited in the Siebert Chapel Narthex March 3-8. Awards will be presented at a special event on Wednesday, March 8, 2017 at 7:30 p.m.
Works should be picked up after the award presentation. Works not collected will be available for pick-up on March 9 in JAC 211 between the hours of 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. Works that are not retrieved will become the property of Carthage College, or discarded.