Ready to take the next steps toward your Master in Social Work degree?
Anyone who has a bachelor’s degree may apply for the Loyola MSW at Carthage program. Those with a BSW from an accredited school of social work may be eligible for the advanced standing option.
Traditional Program (24 months)
- $50 application fee.
- Completed application for admission.
- Official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate work.
- Approximate GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale).
- A course in statistics within the past four years with a grade of a C or better, or a Loyola statistics refresher course.
- Two letters of recommendation (at least one from a setting in which the applicant has work or volunteer experience).
Advanced Standing Program (14 months)
In addition to meeting the required applications requirements for the traditional MSW degree program, candidates applying for advanced standing must also demonstrate:
- Successful completion of an undergraduate degree in social work from a Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) accredited program.
- A cumulative GPA of at least 3.25 in all social work classes taken toward the undergraduate degree in social work.
- Completion of the undergraduate degree in social work within five years of entrance into Loyola MSW program.
Candidates who are beyond the five-year limit since receiving an undergraduate degree in social work should specifically request consideration for advanced standing in their application and must demonstrate that they:
- Have maintained current education and training in social work.
- Have continuous supervised work experience in the social service field that requires the application of social work knowledge and skills.
After we receive your application materials (including letters of reference and all transcripts of prior studies), the admissions committee will review your application. It takes four to six weeks to complete the review and send a reply. Applications are considered on a first-come, first-served basis until the class is full. The program begins in early July of each year.
To apply for the MSW program (either traditional or advanced standing), apply online through the Loyola website or send your application materials to:
Graduate Enrollment Management
Loyola University Chicago MSW at Carthage
820 N. Michigan Avenue
Chicago, IL 60611
All electronic documents can be sent via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org